Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"The man who gave coffee"

No need for much lead in today. Just a tidbit I found somewhat touching.
Personal.
S.B. Isgrigg, Walnut, Kan., writes: “I like to read stories that happened in the war of '61 – '65. I belong to Walnut Post, 231, and I am not ashamed of the badge I wear. The National Tribune is the first and the only friend to us old soldiers who saved this Nation, and we ought to stand by it as a friend to us. I was in the service from August, 1862, until June, 1865, in Co. A, 83d Ind., Fifteenth Corps. Now, comrades, we see who our friends are (especially in Congress) by reading The National Tribune. Does any of the comrades remember the man who gave the 37th Ohio coffee on the night of the fight at Kenesaw Mountain? If so I would like to hear from them by card, as I was the man who gave the coffee to them, after dusk and after we had made the second charge on the rebs.
Source: The national tribune, 26 January 1893.

No comments:

Post a Comment